Friday, June 18, 2010

Throwing A Baby Shower On A Budget - Part 2

Yesterday, in Throwing A Baby Shower On A Budget - Part 1, I showed you a video of things I did to save money on a Baby Shower. Today, I'm going to give you some tips, so you can do the same.

For the table decorations, I found some swimming mats at Big Lots for $2.50 each. I cut off the trim, then cut them down the middle. Each mat made two bamboo runners, which was perfect for our Jungle theme. For the centerpieces, I used containers that I had on hand, leaves that I re-purposed from other entertaining events and I bought new flowers at JoAnn's. They were on sale for 50% off.

I gave my sister two gifts out of my Gift Reserve. I got both of them for FREE. (I did have to pay shipping for the breast feeding wrap. By the way, my sister didn't mind that I got them for FREE.) Click here to learn more about how to create a Gift Reserve.

Finally, my mom and I created a Diaper Cake for my sister. This is one of my sister's signature gifts for a Baby Shower, so we knew we needed to make a special one for her. I do have to say, it's probably the best one we've made to date.

My mom bought a majority of the items, but I made MY signature Baby Shower gift, six handmade Burp Cloths, to include in the Diaper Cake.

I got the diapers on sale at Babies R Us. The fabric came from JoAnn's and was also on sale. I made sure I bought only the amount of fabric I would need. The center of the cake is disposable diapers. I paid $6.99 for a package of Huggies by using coupons. All of this saved me money. You can stockpile small items in advance to make your own Diaper Cake (disposable diapers, rattles, wash cloths, comb, lotions, soap, toys, spoons, blankets, etc...).

(As a side note: Should you only buy a Gift from a person's Gift Registry? Would your friend/family member be happier to know you put yourself in a financial disadvantage because you felt compelled to buy something expensive off their registry rather than buying them a high quality gift at a fraction of the cost? If you're on a tight budget and you give a generous thoughtful gift, it shouldn't matter.)

Other tips that will help you save money when throwing a party:
  • Be creative and think outside of the box when it comes to Gifts and Decorations (ie swim mats for runners).
  • Try wholesale or discount stores like Old Time Pottery and Big Lots.
  • You'll spend more money if you wait until the last moment. If you plan ahead, watch for sales and coupons (especially on Your Retail Helper and Helping the Mommas), you can get things for a fraction of the cost.
  • Ask for help. Many people love to pitch in and bring something like food, decorations, plates, etc...
  • Go in on a gift together. Collaborate either using items from your Gift Reserve or using sales/coupons for great savings.
I hope this gave you some ideas on saving money when you throw your own party!

Don’t want to miss a single deal? Click here to get Hot Deals sent directly to your Inbox! Thanks for joining Your Retail Helper, part of the Helping the Mommas network.

      0 comments:

      Copyright Information

      ©2010–2013 Your Retail Helper All rights reserved. No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission.
      Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. THIS WORK BY YOUR RETAIL HELPER IS LICENSED UNDER A CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE. YOU ARE FREE TO USE ANY INFORMATION FOUND ON THIS SITE AS LONG AS PROPER CREDIT IS GIVEN TO YOUR RETAIL HELPER AND A LINK BACK IS PROVIDED. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT US.
      Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory